super fly blog

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thoughts on the back porch

I think it's a nice day outside, despite the clouds. I looked at the radar and saw that it was not going to rain. the temperature is a fair 63. I decided it is time to sit on the porch and think on things like life and the related. This is just me thinking about things on a somewhat nice Sunday, if I exluded the overcast sky.

So I'm sitting out here thinking about the dog barking, or better yet, yipping. Reminds me of my parents having this strange inclination to adopt dogs from certain rescue organizations. It's kind of funny sometimes when I think shallowly about it, but then it hits me, I wish I could live like that more often. Rescuing the oppressed. Its like being in the image of a God that who rescued an enslaved mass from Egypt. Does that sound familiar? I think it's somewhere in the Torah. Let's say around the book of Exodus somewhere. If you aren't tracking on that, I suggest a little sunday reading. Anyways, my parents have found this peculiar trait of God's to rescue, and I think it is, as the kids say, smashing.


I am sitting here thinking of the church service today. The pastor preached some great truth today. it was about being "born again", or "born from above". Something about it seemed to scream out redemption and liberation in the mind, which was the main idea. I can't help but notice that some "Christians" don't want to be renewed. It is either that they don't care to find new focus on God or focus on God's true love, Creation and all that is in it. I notice that some talk about God, but they never truly invoke the Spirit. It's like they don't see God coming, and they don't care. Or they never truly love people, or act by truly wishing grace and peace to people like Paul did in his letters and his actions. It's just crazy that this religion becomes pop philosophy, pop psychology, or pop whatever. Whatever happened to making it real life. Let's face it, our religion tends to turn into theory and nothing else. I seriously doubt that that is what God had in mind.

I am sitting on the porch thinking about myself. No, I'm not going on an ego trip. I am just evaluating things. Sometimes it gets boring up here. I don't get to serve, and don't get to do. All I seem to do is read write and talk. Don't get me wrong, I love my studies and I am mentally intrigued at all times, but I do like to not be idle here and there. Sure I'm involved in a food ministry, but is that all? Maybe I just need some deeper relationships that I can contact everyday, or maybe it's just that everybody is gone right now. I do admit that the solitude can help me hear things I've never heard before. I notice that the TV is on too much, or that the lights are still on. I notice that the weather is nice or that the trash needs to be emptied. I like this awareness, it's nice. I see things. I notice how much I waste, how much I eat. Maybe I eat too much, maybe too little. It's surprising what you can survive off of. Think about how big the normal stomach is and then think about how much you eat. It's shocking when you think about it. We eat way too much sometimes. Maybe we should be a little more trusting of God instead of acting like we won't see another meal for two days.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the back porch. Who knows, maybe this will be a continuing habit, and I'll see good things happen to me because of this. Anyways, drop your notes or whatever you leave and grace and peace to you all.

2 Comments:

  • I like the idea of the "Thoughts on the back porch" becoming a trend for you. I know that you are a busy person, but if you have the opportunity try to get in on Perry's new series. It's been good so far and I think that you would enjoy it.

    By Blogger Hank, At 3/31/2008 10:07:00 PM  

  • Interesting musings.

    By Blogger Martin LaBar, At 4/08/2008 03:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home